- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 3 cups molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard (shortening)
- 1 tablespoon ginger 1/2 cup butter
- 10 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
- 1 lb. (4 cups) sifted confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons warm water*
- Sift, then measure the flour. Sift three times with the baking soda, salt and spices.
- Combine the molasses, butter, shortening and boiling water.
- To these liquid ingredients, add 4 cups of dry ingredients and blend well.
- Add remaining 4 cups of dry ingredients gradually, beating well after each addition.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour or longer.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board. Roll 1/4 inch thick. Cut with large, floured cookie cutter. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake in hot oven - 400 degrees @ 15 minutes. Makes @ 4 - 5 dz. Cookies.
- Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7 - 10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10 - 12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer). Cover immediately with wet paper towel and plastic wrap.
Makes 3 cups.
*for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.