- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Sauté onion until
tender. Add tomatoes, chilies, and salt, mashing tomatoes with a fork.
Simmer, stirring a few times, for about 15 minutes. Add cheese cubes,
stirring until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cream. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes longer.
Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve in chafing dish, slow
cooker, or other dish with heat. Serve chili con queso dip with corn chips
or vegetable dippers. Sauté a little chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper with
the onion for hotter dip.