- 5 pounds New York strip steak
- Olive oil
- shallots or leeks
- crumbled soft blue cheese
- fresh parsley
- Caesar dressing
- chicken broth-2 cans
- 3- onions
- 4-6 russet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups half and half
- shredded cheddar cheese
- garlic bread
- crescent rolls
- French bread
- frozen broccoli
- romaine lettuce
- 3-5 Roma tomatoes
- char-grilled blackened seasoning
Let’s start stacking:
- Prepare blue cheese shallot butter from meal #1. Allow 25-45 minutes for butter to set up in the refrigerator
- Cut New York strip steak into long thin strips.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a skillet and set aside allowing skillet to slightly cool.
- Heat large cast iron skillet over very high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Dip steak strips into the melted butter and pat on blackening spices on one side of the steak strips.
- Carefully place steak strips in the hot dry cast iron skillet (seasoning side down) and pan fry for about 2 minutes per side for medium.
- Serve dinner portion for meal number one topped with the blue cheese shallot butter. Divide the remaining blackened steak, let cool, and store in a well marked freezer bag until time to serve.
Meal #1- Black and Blue New York Strip Steak w/Rice Pilaf
Prepare New York strip steaks according to let’s start stacking instructions.
- Blue cheese shallot butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons crumbled creamy blue cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a bowl, combine the butter, shallots, blue cheese, parsley and teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Blend until creamy and well mixed. Turn out onto a sheet of plastic or waxed paper and form into a small log, about 1-inch in diameter. Cover and refrigerate until just firm, about 45-60 minutes Top blackened New York strip with blue cheese shallot butter and serve with rice pilaf.
Meal #2 Blackened Caesar Salad
2 cups of prepared blackened new York strip steaks.
In a large bowl, sprinkle about half the parmesan and half the croutons over romaine; add dressing and toss well. Place in a chilled pasta bowl or large soup plate; SPRINKLE with remaining parmesan, creating a “snowcap” effect. Add tomato slices on one side; refrigerate. Re-heat the prepared blackened new York strip steak and fan sliced steak over salad; top with blue cheese, bacon and remaining croutons. Serve with garlic cheese bread.
Meal #3: Steak and Potato Soup with Crescent Rolls
2 cups prepared Blackened New York strip steaks cut into 1 inch cubes.
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add 4-6 peeled and cubed russet potatoes, 3 cloves pressed garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add 2 cans chicken broth, 1 teaspoon thyme and 2 cups prepared blackened new York strip steaks, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Use a potato masher and squish the lumps in the soups as best you can. Heat soup to a simmer, add salt and pepper to taste, and 2 cups half and half and warm though until hot, but don’t boil or it will break. Serve with crescent rolls.