- 4 large baking apples, such as Rome Beauty or Jonathan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- Scoop out center of each apple, leaving 1-1/2-inch-wide cavity about 1/2 inch from bottom. Peel top of apple down about 1 inch. Brush peeled edges evenly with lemon juice. Mix apricots, walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Add butter; mix well. Spoon mixture evenly into apple cavities.
- Pour 1/2 cup water in bottom of slow cooker. Place 2 apples in bottom of cooker. Arrange remaining 2 apples above but not directly on top of bottom apples.
- Cover; cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours or until apples are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature with caramel ice cream topping, if desired.
Cook's Nook : Ever wonder why you need to brush lemon juice around the top of an apple? Citrus fruits contain an acid that keeps apples, potatoes and other white vegetables from discoloring once they are cut or peeled.
Nutritional Information: Nutrients per Serving:
Total Fat: 12 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Carbohydrate: 40 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 3 g
Sodium: 64 mg