Lovell Lacy Orchard: Presidents Day Cherry Tart
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 sticks chilled sweet butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cherry brandy (grenadine or cherry juice may be substituted)
- 2 cups red cherry jam
- 2 or 3 turns of the peppermill
- Pulse the flour, sugar, salt and zest 4 or 5 times in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the cherry brandy.
With the machine running, add the egg/brandy mixture to the dough through the feed tube. Process 7 or 8 seconds or until the mass combines and leaves the sides of the bowl. Permit the pastry to rest for 30 minutes, wrapped securely in plastic, in a cool place.
- Thin the cherry jam a bit with a little hot water (3 or 4 tablespoons), stirring well to combine. Add a few grindings of pepper (fine, freshly ground) to heighten the flavor of the cherries and stir again. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out the dough in a free-form circle of about 12 inches, and transfer it to a buttered baking sheet or a sheet lined with parchment paper. Leaving a 2-inch border uncovered, spread the cherry mixture over the dough, folding, pleating, and tucking the border of the dough up over the fruit. You will have about 6 to 8 inches or cherry mixture not covered.
- Bake the tart for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is deeply golden and the fruit is glossy. Cool on a rack for several minutes and serve warm. (It's also good cold with a hot cup of coffee!)