* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1.5 - 2 pound rump of beef
* 2 or 3 tablespoons fat or oil
* 2 onions, sliced, or 10-12 small white onions, peeled
* 1 or 2 carrots, scraped and cubed
* Herbs and other seasonings as desired
* 2 cup liquid (wine, bouillon, tomatoes, vegetable broth, etc.)
* Other vegetables, like potatoes, as desired
Approx one hour prior to cooking, bring beef out of refrigerator, oil and
We love to use John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper for this dish.
Preheat grill or smoker to 350 degrees.
Place beef on "V" rack with liquid and vegetables in catch pan underneath rack. To give it a wonderfully smoky flavor, place pre-soaked hickory chips into a smoker box and smoke for at least one half hour. Refill catch pan with additonal fluid every half hour of cooking time.
Tent beef with aluminum foil after the first half hour.
Should take approx one hour total cooking time or until internal temperature
is 150 degrees. Let stand for 10 minutes prior to slicing.