3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 T vanilla
3 large eggs
3-1/2 cups milk, whole milk for a creamier pudding
1. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, vanilla and eggs until well-combined.
2. Whisk in 1/2 cup milk.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 3 cups milk over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.
4. Slowly ladle in 1/2 cup or so of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking quickly the entire time to avoid cooking the eggs and forming lumps.
5. Repeat with another 1/2 cup milk, whisking until completely combined.
6. Slowly pour the tempered egg/milk mixture into the simmering milk, whisking constantly and cook over medium heat until large bubbles break at the surface and pudding is thick.
7. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic directly on the surface of the pudding.
8. Refrigerate until completely cooled, 4-5 hours.
When ready to assemble:
Whip 2 cups heavy whipping cream and 1 T powdered sugar until stiff peaks are about to form.
An hour or so before serving, in individuals dishes, layer whipped cream, pudding, bananas, vanilla wafers, pudding, vanilla wafers, bananas, and whipped cream.