Bacterial infection kills 3 dogs at animal Kentucky shelter

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- A highly contagious bacterial infection has killed three dogs at an animal shelter in Kentucky and forced it to temporarily shut down.

Lexington Humane Society spokeswoman Ashley Hammond tells the Lexington Herald-Leader that the dog died last week but necropsy results received Wednesday confirmed its death from Streptococcus zooepidemicus, or Strep zoo. The first confirmed case of Strep zoo was discovered Dec. 1.

After working with national experts, shelter officials decided to close for a 14-day quarantine that began Monday. All dog adoptions are suspended during the quarantine. Also, any strays brought in by Lexington-Fayette Animal Care and Control are being taken to a temporary shelter in Masterson Station.

Hammond says the humane society is accepting donations at because the dogs' preventative care and treatment will be expensive.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus