Richardsville family loses home in house fire

By  | 

RICHARDSVILLE, Ky. (WBKO) -- "We were at Beech Bend for Friday night lights -- me and my family and then my brother-in-law's family -- and we were leaving and my nieces came up to me and said 'hey, somebody just called and said your house is on fire,'" says Nicholas Hatchett.

As he drove his family home from a night out, he says he could see the glow from the flames as he pulled onto his street, North Campbell Road in Richardsville.

"I have six girls and one boy," adds Hatchett, "So, I tried to stay pretty strong for them because I know if everybody is breaking down, everybody's going to break down."

His wife, Tai, says it's still too hard to talk about without getting emotional, just two days after the home completely burned.

The Hatchett's say the Richardsville Volunteer Fire Department was on scene when they got home Friday night. Luckily, none of the children were home, and most of the pets were outside at the time of the fire, but the family did lose one of their dogs in the fire.

It's still unclear what started the fire, but the family is guessing -- due to the damage -- it was something electrical in the back of the house by the laundry room. The back wall is blown out and you can see through the other side of the home. Caution tape still surrounds every entrance.

Right now, they're staying with family members. The Red Cross has also stepped in to help.

"We're blessed and favored to be completely honest with you. From all the prayers that everybody has sent up to the donations to pretty much everything -- it's kind of overwhelming, cause it's so hard to say 'I need this'. You know, you go to Wal-Mart and you buy socks but when we went to Wal-Mart, we were buying socks cause we didn't have anymore," says Hatchett.

"For everybody to be safe and whole and running around happy, it's amazing," he adds, looking at his daughters in the yard.

To those who have helped the Hatchett's through prayer, kind words, or donations, and to the firefighters who responded Friday night:

"I just want to say 'thank you'," he says, "my family thanks you -- from the bottom of our hearts."

Both Nicholas and Tai start back at work on Monday, after a weekend call that changed several aspects of their life. The family has a Go Fund Me page set up. We've attached a link to this story.




 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus