The Vatican has announced that Bishop J. Kendrick Williams of Lexington has resigned.
Williams is accused in two sex abuse cases and another involving certain comments attributed to him, but has denied the charges. Williams has been on administrative leave.
Williams said Tuesday he does not want his resignation to give any credence to the allegations against him.
The Vatican said the pope accepted the resignation submitted under church law for "illness or some other grave reason."
James Bennett alleged Williams abused him in 1981 while Bennett was a 12-year-old altar boy. David Hall alleged Williams fondled him when Hall was an 18-year-old high school senior. Thomas C. Probus filed suit last week, accusing Williams of making inappropriate comments when Williams was a priest in Louisville.
In a statement last week, Williams said he had never sexually abused anyone at any time in his life.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.