Code Enforcement Officials Offer Tips for Renters

By  | 

Bowlling Green code enforcement officials say this is an unusual case hope more vigilance by tenants can prevent a repeat of the Bowling Green Estates situation in another rental property.

If you see a maintenance issue in your apartment, officials say you need to start on site.

"They should always contact their property owner or manager first. File a maintenance complaint and tell them that they need some repairs made. If they can't get those repairs made, they can call city central at 393-3444. And file a complaint and let them know that they have some concerns and that there might be some repairs that need to be made," said Julie Brown, code enforcement officer.

Here are a few tips to use before you sign a contract for your new apartment:

-Always do a complete walk-through inspection....
-Interview the landlord while you're there
-Ask other tenants about their experience and find out if there's an on-site maintenance staff to address your needs