Day three of Mickey Mosher trial

By  | 

It was an emotional day in court on April 11, 2007, as the prosecution's final witnesses took the stand in the Mickey Mosher trial.

Mosher is the Indiana woman accused of driving high on marijuana. She crossed the center line in Logan County, killing Bowling Green businessmen Cornelius Martin and Brooks Mitchell and seriously injuring Bill Leachman.

Wednesday was the most emotional day so far in this trial. Both survivors of the crash, Bill Leachman and Lloyd Ferguson, took the stand to tell what they remember from the accident. Both men said they were riding to meet a friend and planned on stopping in Nashville, Tenn., to grab lunch when the crash happened.

The four men were riding staggered on their motorcycles, with Leachman leading the group. He was the first one to be struck by Mosher’s vehicle.

"Bill led the way. I was second. Brooks was third. Cornelius was fourth," Ferguson said.

Ferguson also said he and his buddies were just out for a ride never expecting anything to ever happen.

"Just a beautiful Saturday morning. It was around 80 degrees and things couldn't be better."

Ferguson said a number of cars were passing them on the opposite side of Highway 79 that summer day, when in an instant he noticed a red truck swerving into their lane. He then saw the truck hit Leachman.

"Bill had been hit. I saw him on the side of the road on the grass. And I saw Brooks and his bike and Cornelius and his bike. Everything was completely twisted and turned," Ferguson said.

“I was able to downspeed my bike, stop the bike, kick the kickstand off, turn around and there it was. Devastation was taking place," Ferguson said.

Brooks Mitchell and Cornelius Martin were instantly killed. Bill Leachman survived and doesn't remember much of the crash.

"I just have a vague recollection of flying in the ditch. The weeds were so tall I couldn't even see out of the weeds, and I sorta had a feeling nobody could see into the weeds. I could hear. It was pretty quiet then; I could hear Lloyd Ferguson," Leachman said.

The last thing Leachman said he remembers is waking up in the hospital.

"I just remember waking up and talking to my wife. I couldn't talk because I had a breathing tube".

Nine other witnesses testified in court today, including the Logan County coroner, a deputy at the Logan County Sheriff's Department, expert witnesses and professors from the University of Kentucky, a forensic toxicologist and the people who arrived first on the scene.

"We were probably on the scene two to three hours," Logan County Coroner Mary Givens said.

Larry Jones, a Sheriff's deputy, said when he got to the scene, he noticed the truck involved.

"That's when I noticed the operator was still in the vehicle. I made contact with her and at that point she seemed very disappointed and confused as to what had happened," Jones said.

Two witnesses that were on the scene immediately after the crash also took the stand.

"I go through there everyday. I think about it everyday," Chris McCarley said.

"I said, 'Sir, are you okay?' and he said 'No, it's my leg. Please don't leave me.'," said Cindy Holloway, who heard the crash and quickly went to the scene to help.

The two expert witnesses from the University of Kentucky who testified about Mickey Mosher said that according to studies they've used in evaluating this case they believe Mosher had smoked marijuana within the hour before the crash happened.

Mosher's attorney, Stewart Wheeler, questioned the legitimacy of the study the UK experts used when determining their findings.

Following Wednesday's testimonies the prosecution rested its case. The defense then asked the prosecution to drop the wanton murder charge, but the Assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Logan County, Kristy Vick Stratton, said this case meets all the standards for wanton murder.

The trial is scheduled to resume Friday, which is when the defense will begin presenting its case.

Stay connected to WBKO as we continue to follow the Mickey Mosher trial throughout the week.