A grandmother in Chicago may have saved thousands of children nationwide from a harmful product. Marilyn Furer discovered high levels of lead in a baby bib used by her one-year-old grandson, and now Wal-Mart, the only retailer selling the bibs, has issued a voluntary recall.
Cheryl Burton has more.
"They shove everything in their mouth and I call this - lead popsicle," Furer said.
Furer is talking about baby bibs her one-year-old grandson Jensen was using. She said her diligence paid off when she said she remembered the controversy over lead in lunch boxes, so she thought it would be a good idea to do a little testing on her own.
"I was dismayed. Not only did it have lead in it, it was a high concentration of lead that was found. I was appalled."
Furer used this home lead test she purchased at a local hardware store. She tested several bibs and said out of the 20, eight tested positive for lead.
"What would have happened if he had sucked on lead. I feel like we dodged a bullet."
Furer contacted the Center for Environmental Health, an advocacy group in California. The group said independent testing found that one of the Baby Connection brand vinyl bibs had a lead level of 9,700 parts per million. That is more than 16 times greater than the legal limit for lead paint. The bibs were made by Hamco and sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. They were sold between June 2004 to the end of March 2007.
Wal-Mart announced on May 2, 2006, it would stop selling the tainted bibs. A spokesperson for the retailer said, "We at Wal-Mart are committed to working to develop industry standards for the elimination of vinyl in children's products."
Furer is hoping that more can be done to prevent the manufacturing of products containing lead.
"Something has to change. We can't go on like this," Furer said.
Tens of thousands of the bibs were sold nationwide. If you purchased the bibs, you can return them to your local Wal-Mart for a full refund or free replacement.
To view pictures, descriptions and more on these bibs click here to visit Wal-Mart's recall page.