Protecting Our Children

By  | 

Every 30 seconds a child in the U.S. is accidentally poisoned. Many of the toxic materials are common household items that don't seem threatening.

Items such as furniture polish, aspirin, bathroom cleansers and many more are toxic to your child's small body.

The best way to keep your child safe is to keep any potentially harmful substances out of your child's sight and reach.

Use locks on your cabinet doors and store prescription medications in places your child doesn't know about. If you child is poisoned, call 911 for an emergency or the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.

Doctors recommend that families keep a bottle of Ipecac or activated charcoal. These medicines can be used to help your child vomit therefore partially cleansing the body of the harmful substance. Even when using this method, contact your doctor or the Poison Control Center for guidance.