FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Fire Marshal William Swope is warning Kentuckians to beware of carbon monoxide buildup now that cool temperatures are forcing them to heat their homes and cars again.
Swope calls the odorless, colorless gas the "silent killer." It's produced by fuels like natural gas, propane, oil, wood, coal and gasoline.
In particular, Swope said people need to understand that vehicles and generators left running in attached garages can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. He urged Kentuckians to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.
Symptoms of overexposure include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches. Swope also warned that high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal within minutes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Symptoms of overexposure include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.