PEWEE VALLEY, Ky. (AP) -- A yellow substance that created a haze near a central Kentucky home caused quite a scare among nearby residents, but hazmat crews have determined no one is at risk.
South Oldham Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Parker told WAVE-TV (http://bit.ly/MhrsBl) that police and several fire crews responded to the call Saturday from a homeowner in Pewee Valley. Parker says a handful of homes in the area were evacuated as hazmat crews set up a zone around the home so crews could investigate what they thought could be explosive material.
However, after analyzing the yellow substance, they found that it was a type of mold that can create a haze if water comes into contact with it.
Authorities aren't sure how the mold formed, but say it is not hazardous and allowed residents to return to their homes.