UPDATE: Army Says Alleged Shooter Saw No Combat in Iraq

By Associated Press | 

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- The Army's top civilian official says the soldier accused in the Fort Hood shooting this week was deployed for the final months of the Iraq war but did not see combat.

MGN Online

Three people died and 16 were wounded before the shooter committed suicide.

Army Secretary John McHugh testified Thursday that the soldier appeared to have no connections to extremist groups.

The soldier is identified by others as Ivan Lopez. He enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver, the job he had in Iraq.

McHugh says the soldier was examined by a psychiatrist last month and was found to show no violent or suicidal tendencies. He says the soldier had been prescribed Ambien to deal with a sleeping problem.

At least three military personnel remain in critical condition after a gunman at Fort Hood killed three people and wounded 16 others before committing suicide.

A spokesman for Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple says three patients are critical and six are serious. Deke Jones says eight males and one female were admitted following yesterday's gunfire.

Fort Hood officials did not immediately provide details on the other seven people who were shot or otherwise hurt during the rampage blamed on an Iraq War veteran being treated for mental illness.

Fort Hood chaplains have set up family counseling centers. The Red Cross opened a shelter at the Killeen Community Center in the hours after the attack but nobody spent the night and the shelter has now closed.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus