BEIRUT (AP) -- UPDATE 2:05 PM
A family spokesman says relatives of freelance journalist Steven Sotloff are aware of a new video purporting to show his beheading by Islamic State militants.
In a two-sentence statement Tuesday, family spokesman Barak Barfi said Sotloff's family, quote, "knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately."
The family has not been told whether the video is authentic, and Barfi said the family does not plan to make any additional comments now.
Earlier, the State Department said U.S. intelligence officials were still trying to determine if the video was genuine.
Sotloff had been held by the Islamic State since last year.
An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group.
Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syria in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
Dressed in an orange jumpsuit against the backdrop of an arid Syrian landscape, Sotloff was threatened in that video with death unless the U.S. stopped airstrikes on the group in Iraq.
In the video distributed Tuesday and entitled "A Second Message to America," Sotloff appears in a similar jumpsuit before he is beheaded by an Islamic State fighter.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)