Fire Destroys Wagon Wheel Enterprises in Scottsville

By Brett Baldeck | 

"I was across town when they paged it out. I could see smoke. It's the kinda fire you know it's going to happen you just don't know when," says Scottsville Fire Chief Mike Cooksey.

Unfortunately, that fire was Thursday. What many consider a landmark in Scottsville, Wagon Wheel Enterprises, was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived just after 1 p.m. The old furniture stored inside combined with the buildings age made it a difficult blaze to contain.

"Back in the early 50's the front part was an ice house. It has been added to probably ten times and just room after room after room and there is just no way you can put it out," says Cooksey.

The owner of the facility also lived in the front of the building. Many local residents ran to the scene to make sure he was ok.

"Well it's been there a long time I was worried about the little old man who lived in the house he is getting a lot of age on him but they got him out," says Teresa Yokley, who owns a restaurant down the street.

Although the building is a total loss no one was injured in the blaze. One family was evacuated from a nearby home as a precautionary measure.

Firefighters tell WBKO they will be on the scene throughout the night to extinguish hot spots.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus