PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) -- Investigators in Paducah believe a faulty extension cord started a fire that killed a pregnant woman and her 5-year-old son.
According to The Paducah Sun (http://bit.ly/KAJgoR ), 24-year-old Jessica Woods and her son, Day'von Robinson, died in the fire which broke out shortly after dawn Monday. Three other people who were sleeping in the home managed to escape.
The house belongs to Wood's father and stepmother. Both victims were sleeping in the same bedroom.
City of Paducah spokeswoman Pam Spencer said the survivors were awakened by smoke alarms, but were unable to open the door to the victims' bedroom. Two people who were passing by tried to open a bedroom window, but were unable to get to the woman and boy inside.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.