UPDATED: 1 Dies After Fire Guts Southern Indiana House

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

SANTA CLAUS, Ind. (AP) -- State police say a fatal house fire in a southern Indiana town began when a disabled woman dropped a cigarette.

Police say 65-year-old Bryan Gregory died Friday when fire gutted his home in a gated community in Santa Claus, about 40 miles northeast of Evansville.

Gregory's 66-year-old wife Maureen Gregory was able to escape. Police say Bryan Gregory apparently passed out from smoke inhalation as he tried to get out of the burning house.

Maureen Gregory was airlifted to a Louisville, Ky., hospital with first degree burns and smoke inhalation. Police say she's listed in stable condition.

Investigators believe the fire was started accidentally when Maureen Gregory dropped a cigarette in the living room and was unable to bend over to pick it up.


State police say one person has died after a house fire in the southern Indiana town of Santa Claus.

The Friday morning fire burned through the roof of the one-story ranch style house and left much of it gutted. WFIE-TV reports the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene in the Spencer County town about 40 miles northeast of Evansville.

One person was flown from the scene by medical helicopter but it wasn't immediately clear whether that was the person who died.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


WBKO.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 255792591 - wbko.com/a?a=255792591