Deadbeat Parents Affect Thousands of Ky. Homes

By: Ryan Dearbone Email
By: Ryan Dearbone Email

It's an issue that affects thousands of Kentuckians--trying to get deadbeat parents to pay up.

So what is being done to track down these delinquent parents?

And what about the parents trying to raise their children with limited finances?

We talked to a mother who's trying to provide for her three little girls--Shawna, Shelby and Sheila.

It's been several years, but the man who fathered her kids is still dodging paying the money he owes her.

Ladonya Brown-Davis has been fighting a losing battle to get her ex, Dwayne Studyvin, to pay up for the three little girls they share.

"It's been three years since we split up and he has not paid child support but maybe a month out of the three years," Brown-Davis admitted.

"I've tried lowering child support for him, but yet he still has nothing to do with my kids and won't even consider helping me out with them," she added.

She said she's even taken Studyvin to court, but that hasn't seemed to help.

"I've been through the court the last two and a half years and they gave him chance after chance. Most of the time he'll pay a couple hundred dollars and then he'll leave and not come back," Brown-Davis explained.

Assistant County Attorney Jill Justice said the Division of Child Support monitors incompliant parents and if they haven't paid in several months, they usually end up spending time in jail.

Darrel Bragg of the County Attorney's Office said there of thousands of child support cases, and many of incompliant parents are flying under the radar.

"There are 3,054 active cases. I can't tell you how many I'm trying to locate," he said.

He added that of those, there are 280 parents that currently have to be tracked down.

Brown-Davis said everyday it gets harder not having the support of her children's father.

I've got Christmas. I've got birthdays. I've got school clothes and I'm doing it all--just me.

Last year, the Division of Child Support did collect $7.9-million from child support cases.

That's up $1.3-million from fiscal year 2005.

To learn more about child support services, click here.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by frustrated dad Location: glasgow on Oct 7, 2007 at 03:01 PM
    Have you ever wondered why there are so many dead beat parents? Maybe you should do a real story on the Kentucky child support guidelines. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be obligated to raise their children and I spend a lot of time with my children. The support guidelines are ridiculous. The guidelines are set on your gross income which the government and other required deductions take about 33%. That's not spendable income. The first change should be to compare net income which is spendable income. Going by the guideline chart of gross income, I'll use the combined monthly parental income of $7,500.00 and the support for two children is $1,324.00 a month. When you double the combined monthly income to $15,000.00 the support for two children is $1,844.00 a month. The difference is only $520.00. You would think by doubling the combined income the support would double. Again, the middle class takes it on the chin.
  • by Anonymous Location: Bowling Green on Oct 5, 2007 at 08:44 PM
    Why don't they spend more time investigating the "custodial parent" how does usually a "she" not have to work but the non-custodial has to work double to pay what the court system thinks is fair. Don't tell me it takes 300 month to raise a child!! Yes a roof to sleep under .. guess what you need that with or without a child ... all the "things" you need to raise a child DO NOT cost that much. It is not only a few deadbeat parents not paying but what about the deadbeat parent abusing the system and using the child as a source of income and not having to work.
  • by Trina Location: munfordville on Oct 5, 2007 at 03:34 PM
    I have 2 children who's father hasn't seen them but twice in six years. he sends no child support. I work full time to try to make ends meet. It is very hard sometimes but I make it. My childrens father got his disability but my children only get $8 a month each. No I didn't make a mistake, it is only $8.00 each. He was in jail about 3 years ago for not paying support but the judge let him go for the benifit of the doubt and to let him try. My children got one payment of $60 dollars one time. I know first hand what other people are going through that need help and can't get it. My exhusdand stated"you can get welfare". No I can't because I work.
  • by greg Location: lewisburg on Oct 5, 2007 at 01:25 PM
    maybe there wouldn't be so many deadbeat dads if the child support system was fair. i have seen so many dads that want to help but seems to continue to get no support form the courts. if there was a set rate instead of it being based on your income then i can see where some would be more inclined to get second jobs to pay. but when the more you make the more you pay rule it is a lost cause. then on top of that you never get to see your kids nor do you have very many rights? no wonder. fix the system and you won't see so many deadbeats. most of the ones that i see are having to pay rediculous amounts based upon there incomes. at least in jail you have food water and shelter.
  • by Catrina Location: Bowling Green on Oct 5, 2007 at 09:35 AM
    I have been fighting the court system for two years now for my daughters child support. EVERY TIME we go to court the court extends his time to pay and does not give him jail time or order him to have the money when he comes to court. This is ridiculous and the court should hold these deliquent parents accountable. If I was unable to provide for my daughter, social services would be at my door taking my daughter away from me and telling me to get my act together. Why are they not doing this to the parents who are not providing?
  • by anonymous Location: BG on Oct 5, 2007 at 07:51 AM
    Why don't you balance this story by doing a story on parental alienation syndrome. Which happens when one parent denies visitation to another and then ends up turning the children against the non custodial parent.....and everyone from the divorce attorneys to family court just stands by and does nothing except deny that it is a true problem. This does not excuse any parent from paying child support. But all parents need to be held accountable for a childs well being and that includes the emotional support and love of both parents not just from the parent that gets the child support to buy extravagant birthday and christmas presents to prove they love them more than the parent that's working two jobs just to get by and pay child support while being denied court ordered visitation.
WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 10243391 -
Gray Television, Inc.