Residents in Barren County are picking up the pieces after weekend storms cause nearly a half-a-million dollars in damages. The community of Bon Ayr was one of the hardest hit areas. Violent winds uprooted trees, obliterated barns and littered yards with debris.
Dozens of homes received severe wind damage. In all, 47 homes were affected, six of which were severely damaged, while two were completely destroyed. Utility crews spent Monday morning restoring power to the area.
The National Weather Service says at this point there's no indication that the damage was caused by a tornado. Surprisingly, no injuries or deaths were associated with the line of storms that hit our area. Elsewhere, severe storms are being blamed for 35 deaths stretching from Tennessee to Ohio.
wbko.com Extended Web Coverage
Weekend Tornado Damage in U.S.
- ALABAMA: At least 10 dead, 50 injured. Damage heaviest in Walker County in the northern part of the state, where nine died.
- GEORGIA: Heavy damage in Pickens County north of Atlanta; at least seven injured.
- ILLINOIS: Two possible tornadoes touch down in southern Illinois; no damage reported.
- INDIANA: Three people injured when wind partially collapse a supermarket in Blackford County in east-central Indiana.
- KENTUCKY: Scattered damage across state; no injuries reported.
- LOUISIANA: Heavy rain in southeastern Louisiana.
- MISSISSIPPI: One man killed in Lowndes County in east-central Mississippi; about 55 injured.
- NORTH CAROLINA: Thousands without power in mountain counties; storms pack wind of up to 50 mph.
- OHIO: At least five dead, 21 injured. Damage heaviest in Van Wert County in northwestern Ohio.
- PENNSYLVANIA: One man killed, up to 19 people injured, in Mercer County in western Pennsylvania.
- SOUTH CAROLINA: Power outages and reported tornado touchdown in Greenwood County.
- TENNESSEE: At least 16 dead, 55 injured. Damage heaviest in rural eastern Tennessee town of Mossy Grove, where seven died and 40 not yet unaccounted for.
- WEST VIRGINIA: Six trailer homes destroyed in Jackson County but no one seriously hurt.
Source: The Associated Press contributed to this report.