The first democratic slate has officially filed for Governor of Kentucky. Attorney General Ben Chandler has picked Louisville businessman Charlie Owen as his running mate.
House Speaker Jody Richards will announce his candidacy and running mate on Thursday in Bowling Green.
wbko.com Extended Web Coverage
Attorney General Ben Chandler
- Ben Chandler was first elected Attorney General of Kentucky in 1995. Having built a strong record of fighting against government corruption, he was reelected without opposition to a second term in 1999.
- He previously served a four-year term as Kentucky State Auditor. As Attorney General, he has been an independent public servant representing and protecting the citizens of the Commonwealth.
- On behalf of the people of Kentucky, he filed a lawsuit against the Anthem Insurance Company of Indiana and recovered $45 million in charitable assets once belonging to the former Kentucky Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance Company.
- He has also worked hard to protect consumers, seniors, victims of violent crime and all citizens by successfully fighting against public corruption, financial identity theft, telemarketing fraud, prescription drug trafficking and nursing home abuse.
- Ben Chandler has also won passage of legislation that requires violent offenders to serve at least 85 percent of their prison sentences, and increases the amount of restitution that all criminals must pay to the victims of their crimes.
Office of the Attorney General
The Capitol, Suite 118
700 Capitol Avenue
Frankfort, KY. 40601-3449
Source: www.law.state.ky.us (Office of the Attorney General Web site) contributed to this report.