Questions Remain Why Teacher Wasn't Arrested Sooner

By: Ashley Davidson
By: Ashley Davidson

The former teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old will be back in Kentucky tomorrow. Mexican authorities arrested 26-year-old Angela Comer in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico Tuesday night, and she was brought back to the U.S. by the FBI. Police say Friday at 7:05p.m. she and the fourteen-year-old she took from Tompkinsville will return with a police escort.

Now that Comer has been arrested and will soon be back in the area some questions still remain about the investigation. The family of the 14-year old boy wants to know why Comer was not arrested sooner. They believe the Kentucky State Police dropped the ball and that the entire incident could have been avoided if more had been done to investigate the alleged affair between her and the boy.

Betty Carter York says: "I was called by the principal and the assistant principal and I was told that hey had dismissed her. They had been watching her for quite a while and to them their behavior was not appropriate."

When York learned over the weekend that Angela Comer, a former teacher at Monroe County Middle School, had been slipping into her house and into her grandson's bedroom she couldn't believe it.
Even though questions about Comer's relationship first arose in November.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Dwayne Barnett says: "We received an anonymous phone call and of course one of our troopers started an initial investigation. He talked to several people involved in the case and couldn't substantiate anything."

York says that's not good enough. She believes if Kentucky State Police had acted sooner Comer and her grandson's relationship may have never become sexual.

York says: "I do. Or at least my complaint if she did not obey it, then they should've checked into it. And then they could've arrested her because she was going against it."

York's complaint in Monroe Circuit Court stated that Comer had committed Third Degree Unlawfal Transaction With a Minor for knowingly calling the boy and causing him to disobey his guardian.

KSP defends their investigation and say that York never contacted them about Comer.

Barnett says: "One of the things that's kind of unique about the case is that we never got a call from a family member, it was an anonymous call. You would have thought if the family members were aware of this they would have called us themselves."

The FBI has turned the investigation over to the Tompkinsville Police. They hope to learn more about the relationship between Comer and the 14-year-old victim once they return. The Commonwealth Attorney, Kentucky State Police and Tompkinsville Police will than decide what charges Comer will face.

WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2193292 -
Gray Television, Inc.