The Medical Center was notified Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2007, that their request for the CON was denied by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
The decision came after two days of hearings last month on a challenge by Greenview Regional Hospital. The Medical Center plans call for a $56 million patient tower that will include 56 new acute care beds and an expanded obstetrics program.
Greenview said that there was no need for more licensed beds in the area.
The Medical Center released the following statement,
"Obviously we are disappointed in this decision and we continue to question Greenview's real purpose behind the attempt to halt this much needed expansion project."
The center also said that they plan on exploring all of their options including asking the cabinet to reconsider its decision.