The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has launched a new campaign to try and raise awareness of safe driving techniques in construction zones.
There were nine deaths and over 800 crashes in construction zones within the state last year.
The "Please Slow Down, My Dad/Mom Works Here" campaign is centered on a top 10 list of Tips for Driving Safely in a Work Zone
- Expect the unexpected.
- Slow down.
- Don't tailgate. Keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the construction workers and their equipment.
- Pay attention to the signs.
- Obey road crew flaggers.
- Stay alert and minimize distractions.
- Keep up with traffic flow.
- Schedule enough time to drive safely. Call 5-1-1 or go to www.511.ky.gov for Kentucky traffic and travel information.
- Be patient and stay calm.