Fort Campbell Soldier Trial Delayed

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

The trial for a soldier accused in the rape and murder of an Iraqi teenager and the slaying of her family has been delayed.

Attorney Dan Christensen says the trial for his client, Private Jesse Spielman, had been set to begin Monday at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

He says it was pushed back after his defense attorney received new information regarding witnesses.

A Public Affairs officer at Fort Campbell, Master Sergeant Terry Webster, says he didn't know about the delay. As a matter of protocol, military prosecutors won't discuss the case.

Spielman is the last of four 101st soldiers from Fort Campbell to face trial in the March 2006 attack on the family in their home near a military checkpoint in Mahmoudiya.

Christensen says a military judge approved the delay Friday night after attorneys argued they needed more time to review the new information.

He says the judge set a new trial date for July 23.


WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6818277