Tax deadline today

It's almost over. Tax season is drawing to a close. ABC's Rob Simmelkjaer tells you what you should do if you're not done yet.

The lines at the post office are long, and your box of receipts is a mess. If you're not going to make the tax deadline, there is a way out. File an extension.

Taxpayers who need a reprieve from the April 17, 2007, deadline can fill out IRS form 48-68. You'll have an extra six months to finish up your return, which is nice but it won't give you any extra time if you know you owe money to Uncle Sam.

When you fill out the extension you need to estimate what you owe and send a check for the amount due. If you don't have the money to pay your taxes, there is help. The IRS will work with taxpayers to come up with a payment plan that works with your income. The tax agency can even work with you to automatically deduct taxes due from your pay check or bank account.

According to experts, filing an extension without making a payment on your estimated taxes can be a mistake. You'll end up paying penalties and interest.

Any requests for an extension will have to be made by midnight tonight.

WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7046372 -
Gray Television, Inc.