Officer Gets His Job Back

By: Ryan Dearbone Email
By: Ryan Dearbone Email

Despite being found guilty of two charges, former Bowling Green Police Officer Brad Fulks has been re-instated to the BGPD.

The Commission unanimously found Fulks guilty of allowing minors to drink alcohol in his apartment. He was also found guilty of insubordination for contacting at least two Bowling Green Police Cadets after he was told not to have any further contact with them after February 23, 2005.

Fulks was found not guilty of insubordination by the first City Commission (made up of Brian "Slim" Nash, Brian Strow, and then Commissioners Mark Alcott and Delane Simpson) to hear the case two years ago.

The Commission was split 2-2 on the harassing behavior charge and using a breathalyzer while off-duty. Since there wasn't a majority vote, those charges were thrown out.

The May 10, 2007, re-hearing began with Fulk's lawyer Alan Simpson asking that Mayor Elaine Walker, Commissioners "Slim" Nash and Brian Strow be recused from the proceedings. Simpson's reasoning was those three would find it difficult to be impartial since they were part of that first Commission to hear the case.

That motion was denied.

All of the witnesses were dismissed from City Commission Chambers. However, there was an issue over whether retired police officer J.R. Wilkins would be allowed to stay. Simpson made the argument that if Wilkins may be called as a witness in the case, then he shouldn't be allowed to sit in on the hearing.

Wilkins was the lead investigator in the Fulks case in 2005. The prosecution led agreed to dismiss Wilkins from the Chambers.

Several police officers as well as former Cadets testified during the hearing. Jonathan Wall, the former Cadet who levied the charges against Fulks, took the stand. During his testimony, among other things, Wall claimed Fulks bought him alcohol while he was underage. He also claimed that Fulks allowed underage teenagers to drink alcohol in his apartment.

Fulks told the Commission during his testimony, that he feared for Wall's mental health because of statements he made to Fulks about "not wanting to be here" and "no one understanding him".

Towards the end of the hearing, Fulks pleaded with the Commission to re-instate him. He said, "This is the only job I've ever wanted since I was five years old."

With Fulks already having been off the force for two years, he is eligible to return to the force at anytime once the proper paperwork has been finalized. Neither Chief Doug Hawkins or the police department's lawyer Dixie Satterfield chose to comment on the verdicts.

WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7452951 -
Gray Television, Inc.