The Campbell County Nightclub was packed to capacity during the Memorial Day weekend 30 years ago.
More than 3,000 patrons and workers were inside. One-hundred and sixty-five never made it out.
Survivors, emergency responders and those who lost family and friends in the fire gathered at the site of the club. For some it was their first trip back since the tragedy.
The fire was ruled electrical. The building did not have sprinklers or fire alarms, which were required by law and that oversight led to the establishment of code enforcements rules statewide.