The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says a bloom of blue-green algae is capable of producing toxins that can be harmful to small children. Officials say Barren River Lake is still open for recreation but families need to steer clear of accidentally swallowing any of the water.
"If you do have animals they can be susceptible to the toxins in the Algae as well. Especially animals that self clean like dogs of course." offered Alan Ramey, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Symptoms of exposure include vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite. Many natural factors like run-off and sunlight are reasons contributing to the algae. Officials say one of the best ways to avoid any side effects is to wash with warm water and soap soon after you get out of the lake.