PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) -- Demolition is continuing on the last of 32 inactive facilities scheduled to be removed at the former nuclear enrichment facility in Paducah.
The C-410 complex is roughly the size of four football fields and was used from 1957 to 1977 to produce uranium hexaflouride and fluorine.
The Paducah Sun reports (http://bit.ly/1jZNKqE) demolition is scheduled to be completed this fall.
Operators are cutting steel and other debris into smaller pieces to be shipped in heavily lined and covered railcars to a commercial disposal site. In 2012 and 2013, workers used special equipment to treat nearly two miles of uranium hexafluoride piping to make it safe for removal at the site.
LATA Kentucky is the U.S. Department of Energy contractor handling the demolition.