Fire officials in northern Kentucky say an apparent natural gas explosion and fire have leveled a home in Newport.
Newport fire Capt. Phil Dietz says three people were in the house when the explosion ripped through the structure about 4:30 a.m. EST Friday. He says two of the residents were taken to University Hospital in Cincinnati and one was in critical condition. Their names have not been released.
Dietz says the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
He says debris was scattered in the street and pieces of the home were lodged in trees. The only things left in the frame home were the foundation and chimney. He says neighboring homes did not appear to be damaged.
Fire investigators are at the scene.