Fire Marshal Issues Warning About Silent Killer

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Symptoms of overexposure include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches.

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Fire Marshal William Swope is warning Kentuckians to beware of carbon monoxide buildup now that cool temperatures are forcing them to heat their homes and cars again.

Swope calls the odorless, colorless gas the "silent killer." It's produced by fuels like natural gas, propane, oil, wood, coal and gasoline.

In particular, Swope said people need to understand that vehicles and generators left running in attached garages can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. He urged Kentuckians to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.

Symptoms of overexposure include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches. Swope also warned that high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal within minutes.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


WBKO.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WBKO 2727 Russellville Road Bowling Green, KY 42101-3976 Phone: 270-781-1313 After Hours Hotline: 270-781-6397 Fax: 270-781-1814
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 232038861 - wbko.com/a?a=232038861