FILE - In this April 5, 2009 image made from KRT video, a rocket is lifted off from its launch pad in Musudan-ri, North Korea. As international tensions rise over a planned North Korean rocket launch, the U.N. nuclear agency is taking a wait and see attitude on an offer from the North to allow agency experts back into the country, according to a letter shared Tuesday, April 3, 2012 with The Associated Press. In the March 30 letter, circulated internally among the International Atomic Energy Agency's 35 member nations, IAEA head Yukiya Amano expresses thanks for the March 16 overture by North Korean Atomic Energy head Ri Je Son and says "the IAEA will follow up on your invitation in a constructive spirit." (AP Photo/KRT via AP Video, File) NORTH KOREA OUT, TV OUT
North Korea already has threatened of a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the United States.
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea is canceling a hot line and a nonaggression pact with South Korea, and reiterating past threats in anger over a UN Security Council vote to impose more sanctions on the North for its third nuclear test.
The statement the North issued Friday, comes after the council leveled tough, new sanctions targeting the North's economy and leadership. North Korea already has threatened of a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the United States.
North Korea says it will retaliate with "crushing strikes" if enemies intrude into its territory. It also says it is voiding past nuclear disarmament statements between North and South Korea.
It previously said it was canceling a hot line with the United States, and the armistice that closed the Korean War in 1953.