Posted: Mon 3:55 PM, Jun 13, 2005
Reporter: Associated Press
Updated: Mon 3:55 PM, Jun 13, 2005
Chronology of Claims Against Jackson
- 1993: Jackson faces a child abuse investigation that never results in criminal charges. He reportedly pays a multimillion-dollar civil settlement while maintaining his innocence.
- February 2003: Jackson says in a documentary on ABC that he has shared his bed in a nonsexual way with children.
- Dec. 18, 2003: Jackson is charged in a criminal complaint with molestation and giving alcohol to a minor.
- Jan. 16, 2004: Jackson is arraigned and pleads not guilty.
- April 21, 2004: A grand jury returns an indictment that replaces the original complaint. It alleges four counts of molestation, one count of attempted molestation, one count of conspiracy and four counts of supplying alcohol to a minor.
- Feb. 23, 2005: A jury of eight women and four men is selected.
- March 1: Prosecution case begins. Among other things, the accuser testifies to details of sexual abuse, and his brother says he saw Jackson molest the accuser twice.
- May 5: The defense begins presenting evidence aimed at convincing jurors the boy and his family had falsely accused Jackson as part of plan to get a financial settlement.
- May 25: Defense rests.
- June 3: Case goes to jury.
- June 13: Jury reaches verdict.