- A portable, battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Signal flare
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Shut off wrench, pliers, shovel and other tools.
- Duct tape and scissors
- A-B-C type fire extinguisher
- Tube tent
- Work gloves
- Paper, pens and pencils
- Needles and thread
- Battery-operated travel alarm clock.
- Manual can opener
- Mess kits or paper cups, plates and plastic utensils
- All-purpose knife
- Household liquid bleach to treat drinking water
- Sugar, salt, pepper
- Aluminum foil and plastic wrap
- Re-sealing plastic bags
- If food must be cooked, small cooking stove and a can of cooking fuel.
Sanitation and Hygiene Items
- Washcloth and towel
- Towelettes, soap, hand sanitizer, liquid detergent
- Tooth paste, toothbrush
- Shampoo, deodorants, comb, razor, lip balm, insect repellent, contact lens solution, mirror, feminine supplies
- Heavy-duty plastic garbage bags and ties for personal sanitation
- Toilet paper
- Medium-sized plastic bucket with tight lid
- Disinfectant and household chlorine bleach
- Extra clothes
- Bedding materials
- Consider including a small shovel for digging a latrine
- Personal identification
- Cash, including change and a credit card
- Copies of important documents: birth certificate, marriage certificate, driver’s license, social security cards, passport, wills and deeds.
- Immunization records
Source: www.fema.gov (Federal Emergency Management Agency) contributed to this report.