Brother-in-law fatal shooting case goes to grand jury

Published: Mar. 23, 2016 at 4:28 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Since Kalob Carter was charged with shooting and killing his brother-in-law, many questions have been asked in Scottsville, including what happened in the moments leading up to the trigger being pulled. Wednesday those questions were answered in court.

"When they got there Mr. Carter was there on the scene walking out of the house with his hands up," said Kentucky State Police Detective Jason Lanham.

Kalob Carter listened as a detective described the night he shot and killed his brother-in-law. First, detailing an argument inside the Davis' house, involving Matt and his wife Angie that escalated.

"She did mention he did smack the plastic dustpan out of her hand that she was holding," said Lanham on the stand.

Police said Angie Davis had called police in December 2015, claiming she'd been pushed by her husband but no charges were filed.

Detectives said Matt Davis, Angie Davis, Kalob Carter, and Carter's fiance were in the home at the time of the incident. Only Matt Davis and Carter know what happened during the fight. The other two people in the house didn't see. Davis' young daughter was also in the home at the time of the shooting.

According to Davis' wife, Matt never hit her during the argument on February 23, but Carter says different. He told police his sister was screaming for help, which led to a fist fight between he and Matt.

"I have the x-rays. He has a broken jaw. Mr. Davis absolutely cold-cocked Mr. Carter," said Carter's attorney Alan Simpson.

Police said Carter told them during the fight Davis threatened him, just before he pulled the trigger.

"He did say to some extent that Mr. Davis was saying 'I'm going to kill you'. Mr. Carter says he pulls his pistol out of his front hoodie pocket and shoots Mr. Davis in the face," recalled Detective Lanham.

Family members at times found it hard to watch, including Carter's sister who's Matt Davis' wife.

After testimony, a judge decided the case had enough probable cause for the manslaughter charge to be sent to a grand jury.

Carter's attorney said Wednesday's hearing only helps to supply more details of the argument of self-defense.

"He went in there to defend his sister and basically ended up having to defend himself," added Simpson.

A grand jury will now look at this case and decide if it should go to Circuit Court.