National Corvette Homecoming cancelled for 2018
National Corvette Homecoming owner Joe Pruitt announced Tuesday that this year's event would no longer be happening.
"It was probably the hardest decision I've had to make in the last 20 years," said Pruitt. "It was just a combination of one thing right after another."
The event was cancelled following bad weather and unforeseen issues retaining enough event space.
"The tent guy came along and he said, 'I was a little hesitant about putting up a seventy-foot by 30-foot tent in hte weater that we've got coming anyway," explained Pruitt, "and I said gentlemen, that's just it. We don't even have a place for a show basically."
Pruitt hopes to do what he can to make sure this year's participants aren't left out to dry.
"I really hate it for the people who have planned for a year, maybe spent money, worked on their cars, or done whatever," he said. "I will be glad to refund anyone's money. We'll probably, about tomorrow, be contacting each one."
After trying to sell the event last year, Pruitt has changed his tune.
"I'm not actively trying to sell it," he said, "If somebody walked up with a good check in their hands, yes. I'd like to see somebody walk up with a check after there has been a good show. That's the way to sell something."
Pruitt added that this year's Homecoming was just not in the stars, and they'll look toward next year.
"I don't like to put on something that's not top notch, and that would not have been top notch," he said.
The 2019 event is still up in the air according to Pruitt, but as for now, it's still on, and they will be working to make it happen.