1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup of water (optional)
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
Directions1. Coat the bottom of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Layer sweet potatoes, onion, olive oil, and water in the bottom.
3. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne.
4. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, honey, salt and pepper.
5. Give it a good stir.
6. Next, cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6, until sweet potatoes are tender.
7. Sprinkle with cheese as a garnish. Great served with a piece of cornbread.
Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup chili with 1 tablespoon cheese equals 252 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 10 g protein.